Truck, trailer, and device theft has become a serious problem in the Ontario trucking industry. Moreover, with an increase in the number of truck hijackings, the lives and safety of truck drivers have also become a cause of concern.
Whether you own a holiday trailer, camper van, or commercial trailer, it is important to have the proper protection and not assume that your automobile insurance will cover it. You are required to register your trailer, but it is not a legal requirement to insure it.
There are also several preventive steps one may take to lower the risks associated with such thefts.
- Demand that drivers lock the power unit and remove the keys when it is left unattended.
- Park trailers in supervised areas or have approved drop-off sites.
- Install proper GPS or tracking devices.
- Advise drivers to report anything that is suspicious.
- Demand that your drivers do not discuss the freight, its value, or its destination while on the road.
- Have a procedure in place to require a vehicle to be locked at all times.
The list is not exhaustive.If you or your family has been involved in a vehicle theft incident and sustained injuries as a consequence, you may be able to sue for financial compensation. Please contact our team at JEWELL RADIMISIS JORGE LLP for a free initial consultation at (800) 715-1082.