The holiday season is here! If you plan to host a party at your home, it is important to be aware of your legal obligations.
The Ontario Occupiers’ Liability Act makes you responsible for maintaining reasonably safe premises. This could include making arrangements for intoxicated guests to get home safely. Here are some tips for making a party safe:
- Check the premises for potential hazards before the event begins.
- Avoid offering a self-serve bar.
- Offer drink tickets to keep a check on overconsumption of alcohol.
- Monitor your guests for signs of intoxication.
- Stop serving alcohol well before the event is scheduled to end.
- Hold onto your guests car keys. If your guest seems impaired or is showing signs of impairment, such as bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, smell of alcohol on their breath, or stumbling when walking, you should arrange for a taxi or ride-share for your guest.
The list is not exhaustive.
If you have been injured on someone’s premises or have been overserved at an establishment/event and have been involved in an accident, contact our team at JEWELL RADIMISIS JORGE LLP for a free initial consultation.