To qualify for Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) income support, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old,
- Be an Ontario resident,
- be in financial need, and
- Meet the program’s definition of a person with a disability, or be a member of a Prescribed Class.
You are considered to be in financial need if the costs of your household’s basic living expenses are more than your household’s income and assets (as determined by your ODSP caseworker).
When you apply for income support, a caseworker will ask you for specific documents that show:
- Your household’s housing and shelter-related costs
- Any money coming into your household, as well as the value of assets belonging to members of the household
The caseworker will also need your signed consent to disclose and verify personal information. This allows the ODSP office to contact third parties and gather additional information needed to determine your eligibility for income support.
Meeting the definition of Person with a Disability means that:
- You have a substantial mental or physical impairment that is continuous or recurrent, and is expected to last one year or more; and
- Your impairment directly results in a substantial restriction in your ability to work, care for yourself, or take part in community life; and
- Your impairment, its duration and restrictions have been verified by an approved health care professional.
Your caseworker will give you a Disability Determination Package for you and your health care provider(s) to fill out. Specialized ministry staff will review your completed package to determine if you meet the program’s definition of a person with a disability.
If you are injured in an accident, receiving ODSP is a viable option when the insurance company has denied income replacement benefits, the long-term disability benefits insurer has denied benefits, and when you cannot return to work.
If you have been involved in an accident that has led to you being a person with a disability, you too may be entitled to receiving ODSP, you may be entitled to receive the help you deserve.
If you have any questions about your ODSP entitlement, we encourage you to contact JEWELL RADIMISIS JORGE LLP and a member of our team will be happy to assist you.